A few years ago I wrote and published on my website The Homeopathic Guide to a Vibrant Pregnancy. This 30 page book has the information needed to successfully prescribe for yourself during pregnancy, labour and postpartum. Some of the topics covered in the Guide include:
- dosage and potency selection
- remedies for common ailments of pregnancy such as morning sickness
- remedies to induce labour
- remedies to keep labour going, for back labour and for a breech baby
- remedies to take your first week postpartum for speedy healing.
This book is available for sale on my website – you can pay for it via Paypal and within 24 hours you will receive your own copy in your inbox.
On January 1, 2017 I will be launching my new course – The Homeopathic Midwife. If you have the Homeopathic Guide to a Vibrant Pregnancy and would like to expand that knowledge I encourage you to register for The Homeopathic Midwife. Email me to put yourself on the list to be updated on opening day dates and a full course outline -firstname.lastname@example.org.
The addition of a second child in the family has this bittersweet component. There is something very special about the first child that teaches you how to be a parent. When you are on the brink of shifting all the family dynamics there is often a sense of grief as you expand to include the new babe. It will all be about more love, even on a physical level your body creates more oxytocin receptors the more children you have – and your first child will now have a small sibling that will adore them, but in that moment before it all evolves there is a little sadness in leaving behind the familiar.
One of the opportunities in this shift is that the partner is usually given a chance to have a greater connection with the older child, perhaps taking over bed times or having special outings to give mother and baby a chance to sleep. Usually this new love affair is very satisfying to the older child and allows the mother and baby to have some pleasurable time to greet and get to know one another.
If there is jealousy it is challenging because compassion for your first-born and a natural protective stance for your baby are conflicting sensations. There are a couple of great remedies for the sense of abandonment or competition that may arise as a family expands.
- For a child that is weepy, clingy, can’t allow anyone but mom to put them to bed.
- Refuses to do anything on their own – eat, dress, go to the bathroom – things they are capable of doing and were previously engaged in.
- Wants to sleep with parents
- Has no interest in going to daycare or having any type of babysitter besides parents.
- Will get fevers and ear infections in this time as a symptom of distress
- Children that react fiercely to a new baby
- can be violent to the baby, the pets, themselves or their parents
- bite, use strong language about the baby – “I hate that baby!” etc.
- wants to stay up late with the parents and get their own time in with them
- can have severe tantrums and rage attacks – definite intensity to their emotions
- will regress in terms of eating, toilet training and sleeping
- lots of mischief when mom is nursing or feeding the baby
There are a range of remedies to assist your family through these types of transitions and if you need further assistance in prescribing feel free to contact me at http://www.pipermartin.com. I offer both online and in person consultations.
A woman who needs Arsenicum for induction of labour or to assist during labour often has one or several of the following fears:
- deeply believes it is possible she will die during birth – to combat this fear she over researches and over plans every possible aspect that she can control.
- fear of vomiting
- fear of having a bowel movement during labour
- fear of swearing, hitting or shouting at her partner
- fear of the house being messed up
- fear of getting an illness while in the hospital
- VERY regularly Arsenicum women will go into labour at 1:00 am after taking a dose of the remedy to induce labour. So if this is you, take a nap, this remedy has strong time modality.
- unable to let go of her fears long enough to go into labour, this remedy will ease the anxiety enough to allow things to progress.
This is a remedy for second stage – Arsenicum women HATE pushing. They hate the intense sensation, the fear of having a bowel movement, the feeling of a freight train charging through their bodies!
Occasionally they will say they have absolutely no urge to push but often they are stalled at this stage. A dose of Arsenicum will again alleviate the intense control so that they are able to move onward.
Give two pellets of Arsenicum 200C and wait for the picture to unfold.
If you desire more information or guidance please visit my website – http://www.pipermartin.com. I have two e-books for self-reference and I provide homeopathic consults via email internationally. Homeopathic inductions are free and always will be.
Babies and the treatment of newborns has always been my speciality. Homeopathy is completely safe for babies, there are no side effects and you cannot do harm. If you choose the wrong remedy the only thing that will happen is nothing. If you choose the right remedy you will likely know immediately as babies are very vital, clear and responsive to the gentle stimulation of homeopathy.
Here is how to give a tiny baby a remedy:
In a glass jar, put two pellets in 1/2 cup of water. Let the pellets dissolve. Give the baby a teaspoon of the mixture. Store the water potency in the refrigerator. Use as needed and then discard when you are finished. A teaspoon = a dose.
You can put pellets directly into their mouths, it is o.k. to touch them. Do one pellet at a time. They will roll them around and possibly spit them out but as long as they have held it in their mouths for even a small period of time the remedy will act. Two pellets = a dose.
Arnica 200C and Hypericum 200C are the remedies and the potencies you want to give for pain after a tongue tie release. Give each remedy twice a day for three days following the procedure. The combination of your magical breast milk and these two homeopathics will speed healing and provide comfort.
I highly recommend using Hahnemann Labs in Berkeley, California – http://www.hahnemannlabs.com for your homeopathic supplies, their remedies are in poppyseed format and are perfect for babies and children, as well as being of extremely high quality. They are the best!
If you have more questions on using homeopathy for yourself or your babies please email me, I provide email consultants for big and small.
There are recurring fears that come up as women prepare to open themselves to the opportunity of birth.
Fear of the Pain –
- anxious about the pain from the beginning of pregnancy
- plans to get an epidural asap
- nightmares and panic attacks about giving birth
- history of pain that is triggering – trauma, old surgeries or injuries
- prone to anxiety
Aconite 1M – use as often as needed before labour,during labour and postpartum.
Fear of losing control/having a bowel movement/vomiting
- usually these women are very fastidious, in control and on top of things
- they typically do not like second stage of labour – the out of control pushing
- they like things neat and tidy so will not usually give birth at home unless they find the idea of the hospital too germy
- usually go into labour at 1:00 am
Arsenicum 200C – 2 pellets during labour or when they go into labour
Fear of tearing or being cut –
- previous trauma history – sexual abuse or birth trauma
- fear of needles
- hard time speaking up for themselves, are ultra polite when they feel dominated
- hold in all of their emotions and create infections after birth such as UTI or cesarean incision infections
Staphysagria 200C – 2 pellets during labour and following any surgical incisions from birth
Fear of something happening to the baby –
- generally very sympathetic
- very aware of how everyone in the room is feeling and reactive to anything that is said or observed
- history of bleeding nose/gums/hemorrhage during pregnancy
- very fast labours
- feels very in touch with the baby throughout the pregnancy
Phosphorus 1M – 2 pellets at the start of labour, repeat as needed.
If you would like more specific guidance about choosing or using homeopathy please email me to set up a consult. I offer free homeopathic induction to ALL women and online homeopathy on an ongoing basis. I am a Classical Homeopath and I haved been a specialist in the world of homeopathy and birth for 18 happy years! I am the author of two e-books – The Homeopathic Guide to a Vibrant Pregnancy and Birth Kit Essentials, both available on my website – http://www.pipermartin.com
Due Dates are a hot topic on this blog. I facilitate at least ten homeopathic inductions a week for women all over the world.
How to create a little space to make it your own?
- If something doesn’t feel right – like a hard deadline for induction, ASK the questions. Often this can open up whole new avenues to you, but you have to initiate the options, the care providers are not able to offer them to you.
- Decide you will only work with a care provider that is brave, honest and willing to support you. Then if that person suggests that you be induced you will be able to take that advice purely. You have to trust the person who will catch your baby. Trusting the people you work with would probably eliminate half the inductions going on.
- Induction is a parenting decision. Agreeing to or choosing induction will impact the very beginning of your life as a mother to this child. Induction changes your birth experience and it is quite likely that it will change the immediate postpartum for you and your baby. Gather information and check in with yourself to figure out what your opinion is on this topic. Decide how you will navigate it, should it come into your experience.
- The changes in immediate postpartum influence the bigger picture outcomes of vital experiences such as breastfeeding. This is why I offer free inductions and I always will – it is a pivotal decision, with far-reaching implications.
If you would like the support of homeopathic induction which acts on not only the physical body but the mental/emotional state please feel free to contact me.
This blog has many articles about homeopathic induction, take a look and I welcome your feedback.
Aversion to your husband or wife during pregnancy is a common experience.
It makes sense that a lot of things need to get worked out with a partner during pregnancy. How safe you feel with a person really gets sorted out when you have a baby.
You transform your body, your identity, your ability to work and usually your perspective on the entire world.
Can your partner keep up with this, match it and find the language to support you?
Your ideas of how to be a “good” mother and life partner really also get aired out. All the old beliefs and expectations come to the surface and you will have the opportunity to decide if they suit the current version of yourself.
Even though you won’t think you can – go OUT, exercise, have a laugh with friends.
Sleep together, take your moments when you can get them.
Get each other food and drinks, let each other sleep in. Once in awhile let each other be alone in the house.
Allow yourself a full year to make this transition with your partner, remind yourself that you are finding your way together. It will be necessary to do this every time you have a baby.
Try to be compassionate and gentle with yourself and your companion. Your children will appreciate it and you will look back on the journey as an interesting time you weathered together.
Please share your insights and if you have further curiosity about homeopathy please check out my website: http://www.pipermartin.com
In Canada, vaccination is your constitutionally protected right. Despite all the misleading advertising, you have the right to investigate and decide if you want to vaccinate your child. There are no schools or daycare that can force you to vaccinate, they must allow your child entry, whether they are vaccinated or not. If there is an outbreak of a disease when your child is enrolled in the school, your child will be asked to stay home. That is the only condition of choosing not to vaccinate.
You are also asked to get an Act of Conscience form signed by a notary and it will be added to your child’s file for the duration of their school experience. Public Health has these forms.
Do not be pushed into doing something you are not prepared to do, take your time, find the information that is right for you and your family and then decide. There are others around you that are going through the same process, homeopaths and naturopaths are good sources of information. Seek them out.
I am happy to consult and provide support if you have questions on the topic of vaccination. I have three vaccine free children – all abundantly healthy and have worked with families of unvaccinated children for the past 18 years. The idea of homeopathic vaccination is not a valid way to approach this topic. It does not make sense to give a remedy unless it is indicated. This is an idea that may be comforting to parents that do not want to vaccinate but want to do something! There are many more valid ways to support an immune system – please consult with me if you want specific guidance.
The best way I know to boost your milk supply is to go to bed with your baby. I know, I know – almost every woman I know will say – I Can’t DO that! I have other children, laundry, cooking, cleaning, work, things to do!! But it’s not really the things to DO – it’s that most women have NEVER and I mean NEVER just spent time relaxing and focusing on one thing. Now the funny part of this is, is that the one thing that needs focusing on, is keeping another human alive, but still – it seems like that just isn’t enough!
So it is up to us, as women, to take this whole concept of breastfeeding up a notch. We are keeping another human alive with our breast milk. This requires:
- tucking into bed with your baby skin to skin
- good food
- support and a feeling of safety
- a mind that believes what you are spending time doing is THE most important thing.
Yes, you can pull off nursing while doing a million other things but why? Will this time come around again? Will it really matter if there is a small window of time in which your house is not the cleanest and you aren’t on top of your email?
Get the whole family into the quiet, postpartum welcome for this babe – teach your children how to experience this transition gently and softly.
If and when you have honestly gone to bed for three weeks, you have rested, chilled out, drank a ton of water, eaten all the offerings of everyone you know, accepted support and allowed yourself to indulge in nursing to its fullest – IF then you still feel like you need help boosting your supply – consult with me. There are many homeopathic remedies to encourage your body and your mind towards this possibility. But try the bed first.
For more information on milk supply, mastitis, interrupted breastfeeding or any issues on keeping babies alive and thriving! please visit my website – http://www.pipermartin.com
Crying mothers are a touchy topic. Somehow mothers think they are supposed to feel only joy, only be smiling and content, only feeling physically blissed out. The reality is many women are shocked to their core about what just happened. They have just allowed a human being passage through their bodies, if they are breastfeeding they are keeping a person alive with their breast milk. This can be stressful and challenging and really emotional. With all those feelings come tears.
The instinct to hide those tears is strong! Not wanting to appear ungrateful for their life or their babies, mothers put on their happy faces and keep it together! This is one of the many reasons I started Red Tent (a mother’s group) many years ago. So that the tears could emerge with the real conversations, leading to the real connections between women in the community.
Giving birth is one of the most alive experiences you will ever have and crying is just simply an expression, an outlet, a discharge of all that emotion. It is commonly judged and suppressed in our society but what if you could cry and just feel like it was a natural part of the process? Especially in the postpartum, women are tender in so many ways. That is why the need for a quiet and private postpartum is so important – both the mother and baby need to be buffered from harshness so that those soft, alive feelings can be enjoyed instead of suppressed.
Let it the tears flow and trust that they are leading you somewhere. Holding in your tears is painful and your body lets you know that – lump in the throat, burning eyes, chest pain… The sweet relief of a good cry ~
For more information on homeopathy and using it to guide you through those tender times please visit my website – http://www.pipermartin.com