Wondering what to pack for your summer travels?
Here are my top ten suggestions.
How to take these remedies? A dose is always two pellets – despite the label on the container!
Take two and wait, observe and you will know if you need to repeat.
- If things settle down, the crying or discomfort stops then two is enough.
- If it reduces the intensity but isn’t gone, then repeat the remedy.
- If it does nothing then you have the wrong remedy.
- after a fright
- sudden fever in the night
- sudden ear pain in the night
- ear pain after a windy day
- injuries to the eye
- all bites that create swelling, redness and heat
- injuries and swelling around the eyes and all mucus membranes
- allergic reactions – on all levels from anaphylactic shock to topical eruptions
- poison oak and poison ivy
- all itchy, blistery rashes and reactions
- bruises and blunt trauma
- head injuries
- overuse of muscles
- food poisoning and any symptoms that are similar
- vomiting and diarrhea
- restless, anxious, fearful of vomiting
- anxiety about germs and food safety
- sudden fevers, especially at 3:00
- heat stroke – red face, glazed eyes, fever
- headaches – from the sun, pounding and throbbing with flushed face
- inflammation – ears, eyes, throat, breast etc.
- onset of symptoms after doing something out of your comfort zone
do a small test patch before applying widely.
- apply Calendula directly onto open wounds
- cuts and burns
- insect bites
will prevent infection and speed healing
- insomnia after a lot of stimulation or excitement
- unable to shut off the mind after travel
- jet lag
- injuries to the spine, head and tailbone
- injuries to fingers, toes and tongue
- puncture wounds – animal bites
- cat scratches
Phosphoric Acid 200C
- headaches from dehydration
- low energy, flat emotionally
- after loss of fluids – excessive sweating, diarrhea, vomiting and breastfeeding
If your family has constitutional remedies these are always a good idea to include in your travel kit. If you need guidance or would like to have a consult to find out more about homeopathic first aid or using constiutional remedies please contact me at http://www.pipermartin.com
If you have ever worked with me creating a homeopathic induction for yourself, would you kindly write me 2-3 lines describing the experience? I would like to get some real language circulating on this topic. Use initials for privacy and if you would, please include your country as I love the visual of homeopathic induction rippling around the world.
I wonder why the process of getting teeth is easy for some babies and really challenging for others. Some children just wake up with a new tooth!
Others seem to “work” on getting a tooth for months. If you are in this situation anytime between six months and two years old than here are some remedy suggestions to ease the pain and the transition:
Pulsatilla children need an abundance of comfort, reassurance and snuggles. Anytime they are uncomfortable they need to be held, carried and sleep next to their mothers. They may have moments of play and good moods but then will slip back into weepy and whining.
- soft – they aren’t screamers, just soft, whiny crying
- need constant physical contact
- extra, extra, extra nursing time
- low appetite and thirst while teething
- may get thick, yellowish discharges with teething – from eyes, ears or nose
Perhaps the most famous of the teething remedies. It does work like magic when you have a person who is a fit for the remedy. These children are pretty easy to identify because of a few dramatic factors:
- SHRIEKING AND SCREAMING
- very, very reactive to pain
- capricious – ask for a drink and then hurl it across the room, ask to be picked up but the adult MUST walk, bounce or jiggle them exactly as they want to be held.
- one cheek red
- green stool
Calcarea Carbonica 200C
This is a baby that has a slow pace for teeth, and bones. They are slow to crawl, walk or get teeth. They like to observe and take their time with the next step. When they are teething they will appear to be taking months to push a tooth through the gums.
- head sweaters – their head is often sweaty while nursing or sleeping.
- cradle cap
- often have thrush as babies
- they are not as weepy as the other remedies but their sleep will be greatly disturbed and they will need to nurse very often during the night.
- will eat sand, chalk, pencils, paper
- can get Belladonna fevers while teething – dry heat, radiating out from head, flushed with glazed eyes.
If none of these remedy descriptions fit your child then don’t despair – there are many more! Please contact me for online consultations regarding the best match for your baby.
The Homeopathic Midwife is a professional online program for anyone who would like to learn how to use homeopathy during labour, pregnancy and postpartum. This program is taught in five sessions with a clinical, practical approach and will expand your mind, your practice and your relationships. Freshen up your work by learning something new and dynamic. Please visit my website – http://www.pipermartin.com for a look at a detailed course outline, fees and registration.
I look forward to working with you!
I know that some babies experience circumcision and I want to suggest a few remedies that can ease pain and speed the healing process. I would suggest nursing the baby ASAP after the procedure, for emotional comfort, the healing dimensions of breast milk and pain relief.
In addition to breast milk I suggest that you tell the baby what is happening both before and after the surgery. For the mothers, please make sure this is a choice you and your partner have made together.
Remedies that are specifically indicated for healing this type of delicate tissue:
- Staphysagria 200C – 2 pellets twice a day for three days
- Bellis 200C – 2 pellets twice a day for three days
- Hypericum 200C – 2 pellets twice a day for three days
- Arnica 200C – 2 pellets twice a day for three days.
- Aconite 1M for mothers and babies that are nervous or frightened. 2 pellets before the procedure.
If you need guidance please consult with me, I am available via email through my website at http://www.pipermartin.com.
I am going to do a little series on remedies for crying babies because after working with babies for many years I think there are a wide variety of reasons babies express themselves in this way.
Today I would like to focus on the very newborn babies. The first thing I am curious about is the birth experience. This type of crying may well have to do with pain from a difficult birth and it is VERY important to look into this with a pediatric chiropractor or a osteopath that has experience working with babies.
Rough handling of the head, neck and jaw can lead to pain and distress for newborns. In order to nurse effectively they must turn their necks freely and be able to open their jaw wide to latch. If they have had vacuum, forceps or cesarean delivery then it is very possible that they will need some supportive care to address the mechanical misalignment.
It is a difficult process to go through when mothers and babies are newly postpartum but you may find care providers that will be willing to do home visits, just ask. This is an excellent reason to set up care before you have a baby so that these relationships are established and that extra work will not have to be done during the postpartum.
Remedies to support Newborn Happiness!
- babies that shriek with their eyes, jaw and fists tightly clenched
- the crying starts and ends abruptly
- only a very calm person can soothe these babies
- babies that have had anything shocking or frightening happen during pregnancy, birth or postpartum. This might include losing a twin, a maternal hemorrhage, placental abruption etc. Life and death situations.
- babies that had a very precipitous birth
- babies born into a room with a lot of fear and expectation that their lives were in danger – premature babies, multiple births, mothers with HELP.
- babies born with shoulder dystocia
- babies born via cesarean, especially if it is was an “emergency” cesarean.
- babies that are weepy unless they are being held and cuddled
- babies that cannot EVER be in a room alone
- babies that were separated from parents at birth and beyond
- babies that must go into care
- babies with desire to always be touching their mothers, nurse for hours because they prefer that special connection.
- breech babies –
Nux vomica 200C
- babies that are overly sensitive to light, sound, touch and smell
- babies that react with shrieking and crying for hours once they start crying
- babies that cannot tolerate ANY stimulation as newborns – even leaving their bedroom makes them upset – no guests, no extra noise, light or touch
- colicky type reactions in babies due to stimulation
- crying may be relieved by QUIET environments and swaddling to soothe the nervous system
- this may be a baby going through withdrawal
Please visit my website – http://www.pipermartin.com for information about online consulting, educational opportunities and e-books! As always I welcome your questions, comments and feedback.
The Homeopathic Midwife is up and running! Online homeopathic education for anyone interested in using homeopathy in the world of birth. You will complete this program with the ability to do homeopathic inductions – imagine the difference that small piece would make in the world of birth and babies!!
All the detailed information is on my website – http://www.pipermartin.com
- course outline
anything else you would like to know, just send me a message, I am happy to hear from you!
this is one way to get to the freshest, newest thinking in the world of birth. Nick Olow, MS., LAC. interviews a beautiful array of midwives, authors and educators in the world of birth and delivers one interview a day into your inbox. Some of the speakers include:
- Jan Tritten
- Anna Verwaal
- Debra Pascali-Bonaro
- Elizabeth Davis
- Suzanne Arms
It is FREE and available to anyone that is interested.
Registration for the Homeopathic Midwife is now OPEN!
Please visit my website for all the juicy details…
On February 1st I will open registration for The Homeopathic Midwife, an online professional training program in Homeopathy for Midwives. On the first of each month a new session will begin. If you would like to be put on the list for the program please email me and I will notify you as soon as registration opens.
The focus of The Homeopathic Midwife is experiential learning, figuring out how to use homeopathic remedies during pregnancy, labour and postpartum. It is appropriate for anyone with a desire to learn. The program is specifically relevant for Midwives and Midwifery students. Homeopathy students, Doulas and Naturopathic Doctors may also find this information beneficial if they are attending births in this capacity. The program is divided into five modules and is paced to occur over a five month period of time.
You will receive:
- written and audio versions of the materials
- email access to consult with Piper Martin throughout the five months of your program
- a flexible schedule of Skype calls to discuss and improve comprehension through case conferences.
- As you finish each section you will be asked to complete a clinical assignment to assess your assimilation of the material. The completion of these segments will result in a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the program. Please note that these assignments are experiential and practical.
The fee for this progam is 1500.00 CDN funds.
A brief outline of the program is as follows:
Session One – Homeopathic Case Taking Skills
- Learn how to gather the information you need to prescribe accurately. This will be demonstrated in a variety of settings.
- Selection of dosage and potency, which homeopathic pharmacies to use and time frames for prescribing.
- Creation of a Homeopathic birth kit
- Homeopathic philosophy and development of language to have an effective informed choice discussion.
Session Two – Materia Medica aka Descriptions of the Remedies
- Remedies are divided into categories of plants, animals and minerals so that you may study the remedy descriptions with classification.
- Each remedy description is specifically oriented towards its use in pregnancy, labour and postpartum care.
- Information will be accompanied by relevant clinical notes and clues when possible so that the connection between the written description and the real life client can be made as easily as possible.
Session Three – Homeopathy for Pregnancy
- Common ailments of pregnancy that may benefit from homeopathic support are included in this segment. Symptoms such as morning sickness, dehydration, iron levels,acute illness and accidents are all covered, as well as emotional states such as anxiety and fear around upcoming births.
- Discussion will include treatment for previous birth trauma, VBAC women and sexual abuse survivors.
Session Four – Homeopathy for Labour
- Case taking in labour, how to translate what you observe into a remedy prescription.
- Homeopathic induction – so amazing!
- Homeopathic augmentation, remedies for first, second and third stage of labour – both physical and mental/emotional treatment.
Session Five – Homeopathic Postpartum Care
- Remedies for the immediate postpartum – retention of urine, shaking, dissociation etc.
- Homeopathic postpartum kit for the week following labour
- Using homeopathy to support breastfeeding – milk supply and mastitis treatment, anxiety regarding breastfeeding
- Birth trauma recovery and emotional support for mothers.
- Surgical healing
I will look forward to hearing from everyone who co-created this new experience.