Often little ones get congested and it turns into something bigger, simply because they have a very hard time clearing the mucus. When the mucus sits at any point too long, then infection can form – in the ears, eyes, chest and throat. Homeopathy keeps the mucus flowing and I have included some other easy suggestions to help your babies manage a cold.
Mucus in the Eyes, Nose and Chest
- thick YELLOW mucus
- can be either eye and often will swing back and forth
- may also be thick, yellow mucus from nose
- this is the main remedy for newborn goopy eyes
- loose cough goes on through the night and early morning
- babies are weepy and want a lot of contact during illness
- thirstless except for lots of comfort nursing
- will alternate an okay mood and then weeping all day long
- mucus is green – in eyes and nose
- snuffly babies from birth – often with green discharge in eyes
- hot babies, night owls and prefer to sleep on their stomach
- chesty colds – this is the place colds tend to land for these babies
- very bad diaper rashes with blistering and open sores
- reactions and cravings for citrus and strawberries
- these babies are a little wild – fierce and passionate
- green, fluent discharges – from eyes and nose
- diarrhea with illness – mucus can come from this location too
- sweaty and drooly during illness – especially at night
- intense ear infection pain – especially at night
- very unhappy during illness – want connection but is not comforted by it like Pulsatilla babies
- alternating hot and chilly during illness
- bad breath- which is an unusual symptom in children
Suggestions for managing the flow of mucus:
- BREAST MILK IN THE EYES! every time you possibly can squirt their eyes with breast milk. Also great for diaper rashes.
- CHIROPRACTIC adjustment – this will really help keep things flowing and prevent ear infections!
- PROP up the bed with folded blankets under the fitted sheet.
- Don’t be alarmed if the mucus comes out in a coughing fit that ends in vomiting, this is one of the main ways babies discharge mucus quickly and efficiently.
- Reassure your baby that they have strong, capable bodies and they will move through this with ease. Keep yourself steady and provide them with lots of quiet, easy time AT HOME to recover.
I provide email consulting through my website – http://www.pipermartin.com should you need more guidance or support!