Pulsatilla is a very common remedy to see in pregnancy, labour and postpartum. If a remedy works well for you in pregnancy – i.e. it addresses your morning sickness, then it is highly likely that will also be useful for induction, to augment labour or to support any breastfeeding challenges. Pulsatilla is a remedy that appears to follow a woman from pregnancy to postpartum and often it will be the first remedy to consider should the baby need a remedy.
Pulsatilla emotionally looks like:
- weeps easily
- looks for comfort and reassurance and allows this
- emotional about other children, fear of them feeling abandoned
- looks to those around her for guidance instead of tapping into her own
Physically this translates as:
- discharges that are yellow, thick and emerging from eyes, nose, ears – newborn goopy eyes
- craves touch no matter what – even while in transition prefer to be cuddled and touched
- morning sickness that changes day by day – different triggers, different times, different reactions to food.
- indecisiveness is reflected in the baby assuming many positions during pregnancy and often goes breech, labour that starts and stops and is experienced all through the body – contractions in legs, bum, back, abdomen, unable to commit to the labour taking Pulsatilla will create a regular rhythm to the labour and is the gesture of commitment that is needed to progress.
- goes into labour only when children are in bed or being cared for – reluctant to really be in labour without the midwives, husband, mother, support team that she has assembled all around her – within sight
- very changeable milk supply and supply that is easily effected by food, company, upset, discharges etc.
Pulsatilla is a plant remedy, made of the wind flower – it blooms in the spring and softly blows in the wind – a way to remember its soft, changeable nature and being a plant its reaction to and awareness of its environment.
- use Pulsatilla for babies if you have a baby with separation anxiety – by that I mean if you cannot walk out of a room without the baby weeping.
- This is such a useful remedy for siblings that may be feeling jealous and becoming very weepy and whiny as a means of expressing their feelings. Pulsatilla will reassure them of their stability in the family.
Please visit my website at http://www.pipermartin.com or check out my e-books for further information on using Pulsatilla.